Monday, October 01, 2007

Being Staff

Sometimes I just read things wrong. When searching the web for information on the disabled guy who ended up as an Egyptian priest, I read one account that described the painting of him as being with a staff, and the oddest picture popped into my head.

In my minds eye, I saw an Egyptian priest on market day considering a purchase while a young staff says, "Now, Rom, do you REALLY think you need that papyrus?" I saw the staff's little nose curl up in disapproval as she insisted that he, "put it back, right now." Then I imagined the little staff making notes in a binder about how Rom needed prompting to deal with his inappropriate shopping behaviours at the market. "Bless Ra! I was here for him."

Even though I know that they were talking about a staff - a stick - a crutch like thing, I can't get the image of that little staff out of my mind. It makes me giggle.

So, I looked up the word 'staff' in the dictionary because it struck me odd, that this guy was helped along by this staff, and that we as staff are hired to help people along. Hmmm, could this be coincidence?

According to the Oxford Canadian Dictionary ... Second Edition, the word 'staff' has a variety of meanings but there are two conflicting ones. The first ...

those in authority

Gosh, that's scary. Even the dictionary gets that we have power and control issues with people in care! Our status as staff gives us an automatic step up the heirarchy of power in relationship to those in care. This may be one of the reasons why there is so much abuse of people with disabilities. The authority went the wrong way.

But there is another definition, one that really struck me. Took my breath away;

a person or thing that supports or sustains

That to me is wildly appropriate. For that Egyptian priest, his staff went where he went directed by him, it did what he needed as determined by him, he used it when he needed it and put it aside when he didn't. His staff wouldn't have done anything but support or sustain. It was blessedly silent so he wouldn't have to listen to its opinion. It was blessedly compliant so it managed to take direction without checking current policies and protocol. It was blessedly willing so he didn't have to beg to please, please, please, get me to the temple on time.

I'm beginning to see that stick, that ancient piece of wood as a role model.

What a great answer to the question, what do you do for a living?

I support and sustain.

That'll do it for me.

8 comments:

Betsy said...

Dave,

Just to let you know, I wrote about you on my blog today (My Sweet Daisy post)- and the frustration that comes with trying to wheel a child around at a "handicapped accessible" (haha) hospital.

I think I shall wear a WWDD (what would Dave do) bracelet from now on!

http://bits-of-betsy.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Ah ha, the dictionary seems to get the actual contradiction that exists in real life, those who support and those who assume authority.

I wonder if the word staff could change in the context of supporting people, to reflect only one of the 2 apparent positions people assume? That would be good! Don't you think?

Not just the word but the opportunity to assume one or the other. Hmmmm.... I am imagining how that could happen?!

wendy said...

I just had to respond to Betsy because I thought the same thing the other day in a different context...that I needed a WWDD bracelet! Great minds think alike...and they agree with Dave! ;-)

Belinda said...

Can't resist...Psalm 23:4

... your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

Hmmmmm... :)

stevethehydra said...

I laughed at this, because in the UK we really don't use the word "staff" in what seems to be its commonest context in the US/Canada.

We would certainly never refer to a person, singular, as "a staff" - staff when referring to people in UK English, is always a plural noun (the staff of a school, an office, a shop, etc). If someone referred to "my staff" in the UK, i would assume them to be someone very rich and powerful who had a whole team of people working for him.

"A staff", singular, could only mean a stick...

(The emblem of the county i used to live in is "The Bear and Rugged Staff". It's a brown bear leaning on a big stick ;) )

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Hingsburger,

Please check out this website. It was posted by the CEO of a segregated facility in Saskatchewan. Of particular note are: "Choices, Choices at Risk, Success Stories and More Success Stories.

http://www.skfamilyandfriends.ca/Family_and_Friends/Call_to_Action/call_to_action.html


If you have any questions or would like clarification please email me at gems@sasktel.net

Jenny said...

Heh, is it bad that I'm a police dispatcher, and therefore, I tell cops where to go, all the time?

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr. Hingburger

I am a 2 year student in the Developmental Services Worker Program. Actually, my Mom was at a confrence that you were at and you autogrpahed your book "POWER TOOLS" for her to give me. (To add on, I was the one who called her really late at night to tell her how inspired I was by your book) I just want to sy that I had goosebumps after reading this blog it is truly inspiring. I have shared it was my class. I too am from a small town, but not so small that MapQuest doesn't recognize it. lol. I am in a class of 15 people and attend Fanshawe College the James N. Allen Campus in Simcoe and because it is a small class it is very personal and just gives us the oppertunity to really go in depth in our discussion. We just finished watching "The Ethics of Touch" and we do online discussions about your lectures. No one has had nothing negative to say. To sum it up you have inspired 15 more students to be amazing support and sustain.

Brie Hooyenga
lisabrianne@hotmail.com