Tuesday, April 22, 2008

GRRRRRRR

We are on our way to Michigan today where I will be speaking at a conference from there we head to Baltimore where I'll be at the state wide conference. I'm looking forward to being on the road now that it's summer. I feel like I have a new lease on life. With the snow gone I can wheel myself more easily, the wheelchair frame isn't ice cold, the wheels are finally completely thawed, thus the world has opened up to me

I could tell the other day that I've been wheeling less over the last few months because I'm tiring too easily and not going as far as I normally would. But all that takes is a bit of exercise, a bit of pushing and I'll be back to where I was before. It's imporant to me that I continue to live fully and have expectations of myself.

Because elsewhere they've fallen.

"Don't you think it's time you retire, after all you are in a wheelchair."

What people will say to me - I mean retire!?! I'm only in my 50's. Retire!?! I'm still passionate about what I'm doing. Retire!?! I'm years from being finished, I'm working on some of the biggest stuff of my career. Things that take time ... The Whole Truth just came out, The Key (A Sex Offender Treatment book) is scheduled to come out in a few weeks. The Vita 'Abuse Free' project is well underway and providing such delicious fruit. I'm already formulating a new set of goals. Retire!?! Because I'm in a wheelchair?

Here's fair warning - I have no intention of quitting until I'm done. My wheelchair doesn't write, I do. My wheelchair doesn't give lectures, I do. My wheelchair doesn't innovate ideas, I do. So, then, what on earth does my wheelchair have to do with anything other than get me from place to place. Don't get me wrong, I honour my wheelchair for the work it does. But it's work and mine are separate.

So to those who feel that, now I'm in a wheelchair, I am just desperate for your advice and input ... just because I look up to you, doesn't mean I admire you. This is not a state of worship, you are not in a state of grace. I still govern me. And NO, retirement isn't in my future - perhaps ever. Got that!?!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Got It! Never doubted it, Glad to here it, but since you put it in writing I'll be holding you to it!
MDN

wendy said...

Who would have the nerve to make such a ridiculous suggestion???? Clearly someone...or more than one "someone" but honestly! You should retire because now you sit more than you used to!?? I'm offended on your behalf!!!

Susan said...

Woohoo! You tell 'em, Dave! I'm with you all the way! I'm three days older than you and I'm not retiring either - ever! (But a month long vacation might be nice. :o) )

FAB said...

Heck yeah!

Defying Gravity said...

I'm with you all the way...

(Be great if someone could design a thinking/writing wheelchair though - I'd get one to write my boring reports!)

All 4 My Gals said...

Tell them we need you horribly and would not know what to do without you. They're ridiculous!

Anonymous said...

You go Dave!!!

Anonymous said...

I certainly hope you don't go anywhere for a long time!

Now what's this "The Key", this is the first I've heard of this! Sex offender treatment is one of my advocacy subjects. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it... in a nutshell. :)

theknapper said...

What were they thinking??!!
I have never considered the possibility that you would retire...so it's a relief to know you don't intend to. You have so much more to give & to ask of all of us.

Dorian said...

I suppose we could allow you to retire some day, maybe when you're 80. But, could we get a promise that you'll still come here and blog? Even if it's about the weather. lol I just recently found you and already know I'd miss you terribly if you didn't post everyday.

Anonymous said...

Good on ya Dave!
Keep up the amazing work!!!
:)

Anonymous said...

Hi there Dave........I got to your blog from abnormaldiversity.........

Baltimore MD, right? I think there's a place called the same in Tennessee.......

I grew up 25 minutes from Baltimore MD.

And it's no one's business but yours when you want to retire......no one's choice but yours. Good for you for taking a strong stand.

come visit our blog if you like......three autistic personalities sharing a body

Ivan of athenivanidx
the other two are The Integral and Athena