Friday, July 22, 2011

Ginger Anyone?

Pushing out of the elevator, I found myself behind a woman who opened the first of the two front doors and held it for me. She had a genuine smile and I knew that I was in the presence of a fellow morning person. We can be a rare breed. I got through the door and she said, referring to the next set of double doors , 'I'll hold the other ones open for you too.' I said, 'No, it's easier for me to go through those on my own.' She said, still smiling, 'No, it's alright I don't mind.' I said, 'I need to go through both doors and that's easier to do on my own.' She said, 'I can hold both of them open.

My mind flashed.

I'd been in this situation before and, in that instance gave in to the woman's need to hold the doors open. She opened one, held it with her back and then leaned over and got the other door. Even though I tried to duck, as I am tall in my chair, she was busty and there was contact. It kind of felt like my head had gone over two speed bumps. I smiled an apology, she acted like she didn't notice. OK. Yeah, well, maybe not. Now every time we run into each other in the elevator she is uncomfortable and I am mortified. In fact my hair is so embarrassed that I get off the elevator a red head.

Back to the present.

I insist on going through on my own. She blushes and says, 'I'll bet I know what would be really helpful.' I nodded, she continued, 'If I just let you tell me what you find helpful.' I was a bit surprised because that's exactly what I would find helpful. I said, 'You've got it exactly.' So she went out and I then opened the doors myself, placing the footrests just so and with a mighty heave the doors swing open, I catch them on their way out and use them to propel myself through the door.

Sometimes the best help is no help.

She's a friendly woman, she's got a bit of insight. And because there were no speed bumps along the way, we might even become bosom buddies.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very funny post!! You watch out for the speed bumps Dave! Glad the woman is helpful and learnt to leave you too it when you don't need help - and in fact remove the "speed bumps" from being an obstacle! Here's to the two of you becoming bossom buddies.

Anonymous said...

LMAO!!!!! Good one!

Nan said...

funny post! love the speed bumps and bosom bossom buddies!

Colleen said...

Dear Dave:

So that's how red hair happens!

Thanks for the laugh!
Colleen

Anonymous said...

Right now I am giggeling like someone in first grade thinking: "hi, hi, hi, hi, hi - he said speed bumps".

Julia :-)

Anonymous said...

Love it Dave! Thanks for adding a laugh and a smile to my Friday morning!

Just Jess for now said...

LMAO!

Kasie said...

LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER!